Frederick Community College is inviting all members of the community to visit campus for a free day of interactive and engaging activities on Wednesday, September 27.
“Community Day” is part of the College’s Inauguration celebration featuring events throughout the month, culminating in the formal installation of the 11th
President of FCC, Dr. Annesa Payne Cheek, on Friday, September 29.
“President Cheek often says FCC is ‘THE community’s college,’ and we hope our Community Day will truly reflect that,” said Jeanni Winston-Muir, FCC Interim Associate Vice President for Student Affairs. “FCC is fortunate to be a part of such a supportive and dynamic community, and we want to make sure all community members have the opportunity to join our Inaugural Celebration and understand how much we value and appreciate their role in our College’s success.”
All of the day’s events occur in and around the Student Center between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., to include a Wellness and Volunteer Fair featuring non-profits from across the county. An outdoor movie will be featured on the Athletics Center Quad at 8 p.m.
Highlights of the day include:
- Dementia LIVE Stimulation with Frederick County Division of Aging and Independence
10 to 11:45 a.m.
Dementia LIVE helps caregivers and others better understand what it’s like to live with cognitive impairment and sensory change, through a simulation experience offered in collaboration with the Frederick County Division of Aging and Independence.
- 30-minute seated massage
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Unveiling of FCC “Paint by Numbers” mural
- Speaker Series: A Focus on Suicide Prevention
11 to 11:45 a.m.
Jill Martin, an advocate for the Maryland Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, helps lead others “out of the darkness” – a familiar journey from her own personal story.
- Free snack from the Kona Ice Truck, while supplies last
11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wellness and Volunteer Fair with Community Partners
11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Cougar Grille
- Flu Vaccination Clinic with the Love for Lochlin Bus
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Free Lunch from local food Trucks for Wellness and Volunteer Fair participants
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Labyrinth Walk and Native American Flute
1 to 3 p.m.
- Outdoor Movie, Spider-Man Across the Spider-verse
All events are free and open to the public. Online registration is requested through the FCC Inauguration webpage