Transfer of Non-traditional Credit Transfer of Non-traditional Credit

Transfer of Non-traditional Credit

FCC may award up to 45 credits for demonstrated proficiency in areas related to college-level coursework. Sources used to determine proficiency include the following:

Military Credit

FCC is a Service Members Opportunity College (SOC) and accepts transcripts from the military. We follow credit recommendations made by the American Council on Education (ACE). We do not accept ‘by correspondence’ courses. The student should have an official transcript of his or her record sent directly to Registration and Records.
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP is a national credit-by-examination program providing individuals the opportunity to receive credit for college-level achievement acquired in a wide variety of ways. General and subject examinations are available, with many being accepted by FCC. 
To request an official CLEP score report, please visit the CLEP website for more information.

If you are interested in taking a CLEP exam, please contact the Testing Center at 301.846.2522. Please be advised that not all CLEP exams are eligible for a credit award at FCC. Before students sit for an exam, they should check that an exam is eligible for transfer credit at FCC. Consult either the current FCC Academic Catalog, a Transfer Evaluator at [email protected], or the Testing Center to confirm.
Advanced Placement (AP)

These subject exams are generally administered through high schools at the culmination of AP course offerings. The program provides a practical way for high school students to receive advanced standing credit in college for college-level courses completed in high schools. 
It is the student’s responsibility to have an official AP score report sent to FCC. Please visit the AP website for more information.

A complete list of accepted AP exams and the scores required can be found in the FCC Academic Catalog. This list is updated every Academic year.
International Baccalaureate (IB)
FCC will evaluate International Baccalaureate (IB) subject examinations with scores of 5, 6, or 7. Students must have official results sent to the Registration and Records. Students may be awarded up to 30 credits toward the associate degree, but those planning to transfer need to consult with potential transfer institutions regarding each institution’s policy on required scores and credits awarded. To request an official candidate score report be sent to FCC, see the International Baccalaureate website at

IB Exam FCC Course Equivalent/
Credits Awarded
IB English (HL) 5+ = ENGL102
5+ and Completion of full-
diploma option = ENGL101 & ENGL102
IB Math (HL) 5+ = MATH 120 (3) and MATH185 (4);
Placement into MATH195
IB Math (SL) 5+ = MATH165 (4);
Placement into MATH175 or MATH185
IB Math Studies 5+ = MATH101 (3)
IB Biology (HL) 6+ = BSCI150 (4) &160 (4)
IB Biology (SL) 6+ = BSCI100 (4)
IB Chemistry 5 = CHEM101 (4);
6+ = CHEM101 (4) and CHEM102 (4)
IB Physics (SL) No credit
IB History of the Americas 5= HIST201 (3) or HIST202 (3);
6+ = HIST201 (3) or HIST202 (3)
IB History of Europe 5+ = HIST102 (3)
IB Economics (SL) 6+ = ECON201 (3) & ECON 202 (3)
IB Spanish 5+ = SPAN101 (3) and SPAN102 (3)
IB French 5+ = FREN101 (3) and FREN102 (3)
IB Latin 5+ = LATN101 (3) and LATN102 (3)
IB Music Determined by program manager
IB Art 5+ = ARTT104 (3)
IB Computer Science 5+ = CMIS106 (3)
Full IB Diploma
(Indicates successful completion of the Theory of Knowledge course and the Extended Essay
ENGL101 (3)

Institutional Departmental Examination
Frederick Community College recognizes that students come to us having obtained college-level learning in a specific subject area and having mastered course content and learning outcomes for various courses. Students can earn college credit by taking comprehensive exams in lieu of taking the actual course. Taking an exam for credit is one of the most affordable ways to accelerate degree completion. This option is available only if a CLEP or DSST standardized exam for the subject is not available.

Students will be assessed 50% of the current tuition for any credits awarded for successful completion of any Institutional Departmental Exam.

Institutional Departmental Exam Eligibility

  • You must be a student at FCC, enrolled in a minimum of three (3) credits (excluding the PLAC 101 course credit) in the same semester you are pursuing PLA credit or you are completing a program through reverse transfer.

  • Students must declare a major in a degree or certificate program.

  • Students must meet with the PLA Coordinator for advising.

  • Students must identify the courses being pursued for credit and complete a Prior Learning Assessment application.


Portfolio Development
A Portfolio evaluation is a course-by-course evaluation where students show that the knowledge gained through experience is equivalent to college-level learning and course learning outcomes.

Students must be able to identify and document all experiences and learning. A student’s prior learning portfolio is a collection of materials or artifacts compiled to demonstrate college-level learning relevant to their academic program of study.

Students will be required to enroll and complete the Prior Learning Assessment Course (PLAC101) and will be assessed the current tuition rate for a one-credit course.

Additionally, students who request a Portfolio evaluation will be assessed 50% of the current tuition per credit awarded.

Portfolio Development & Assessment Eligibility

  • You must be a student at FCC, enrolled in a minimum of three (3) credits (excluding the PLAC 101 course credit) in the same semester you are pursuing PLA credit or you are completing a program through reverse transfer.

  • Students must declare a major in a degree or certificate program.

  • Students must have received credit for EN101 earning at least a ‘C’ or have the requirement waived by the PLA Coordinator.

  • Students must have a minimum of 3 years of experiential learning outside of the classroom in an applicable field of study.

  • Students must identify the courses being pursued for credit.

  • Students should not have previously taken and received credit or attempted the course petitioning for credit.


High School Articulation Agreement
FCC has articulation agreements with local school districts to award College credit for selected courses at Frederick County Public Schools and Carroll County Public Schools. To receive credit, students must have earned a specific grade as designated in the various agreements. Students should consult with their high school guidance office for more information. It is requested that students complete the credit request form with a high school counselor and submit that to the Registration and Records Office when initiating this process.


  • Students must submit official high school transcript indicating graduation date.

  • Students must be registered for at least one FCC course.

  • Students must initiate the request for credit within two years of high school graduation date. Initiating this process can be done by submitting the credit request form or by request with an Academic Advisor.


Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES)

DANTES is a testing program available to military personnel, as well as civilians. Please be advised that not all DANTES exams are accepted by FCC. Before students sit for an exam, they should reference the current academic catalog to verify tests accepted by FCC.


Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Courses

If you are a student interested in FEMA courses and/or one of the Emergency Management degree programs, you should visit  Learn more about the FEMA/Emergency Management program and conversion to academic credit at . For additional information you may contact that department at 301.624.2854 or by email at [email protected].

For degree seeking students in one of the Emergency Management degree or certificate programs that wish to have other transfer credit evaluated (other colleges/universities, military, etc.), you will need to apply to FCC and declare your major as Emergency Management. After you apply, send all of your official transcripts directly to Registration and Records.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

A Prior Learning Assessment is the evaluation of college-level or experience-based learning that has been achieved outside of the traditional classroom environment. For more information, please visit our PLA web page.

Any questions related to your transfer evaluation may be sent to [email protected].  

Additional Resources
Incoming Transfer Students
General Transfer Evaluation
Reverse Transfer
Transfer Credit FAQ
Transfer of Non-Traditional Credit
Visiting Students