The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) measures basic essential skills in the academic content areas of reading, mathematics, science, and English. The TEAS is used as a part of the admissions process in most healthcare programs across the nation.
Students who wish to apply for admission to FCC' PTA Program program must complete the TEAS and earn minimum qualifying TEAS scores before the application deadline for the respective program. If a student does not complete the TEAS and earn qualifying TEAS scores to submit with their application, their application will not be evaluated.
TEAS Practice Test
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS REGARDING THE TEAS
WHEN SHOULD I TAKE THE TEAS?
- Students must register for and take the TEAS prior to their appropriate application deadline. Applicants must complete the TEAS prior to submitting their application to the program, and applicants must earn a score that qualifies their application for consideration by the program (see “SCORE” information below).
- It is recommended that students take the TEAS 2-to-3 months prior to the application deadline. The TEAS must be completed and qualifying TEAS scores earned prior to the application deadline.
WHEN IS THE TEAS OFFERED?
- Please refer to the ATI website for TEAS testing information, or contact FCC’s Testing Center ([email protected]) or FCC’s Advising Office ([email protected]).
- Students must complete the TEAS and earn qualifying TEAS scores before the application deadline of May 1st application deadline for the PTA program
WHAT WILL I NEED TO REGISTER FOR THE TEAS?
- Students will need their FCC ID number, a credit card, internet‐access, and an e‐mail address to complete the online registration.
- TEAS registration information can be found online the ATI website. The applicant will need to create an account. It is important to remember the username and password, as it is needed to access the TEAS on test day.
REGISTRATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE TEAS:
- Register and pay for the TEAS on the ATI website.
- On the right, above the log‐in fields, click on the link and follow the instructions to “Create an Account with ATI.”
- Continue on the website for choosing the institution where the exam will be taken.
- Drop down menus will appear. Select "Maryland" in the state field and "Frederick" in the city field and click the "NEXT" button.
- You should then see the upcoming dates the TEAS will be offered here at FCC. Click the "Register" link next to the date on which you wish to take the TEAS.
- A summary will appear and the applicant can verify the order is correct, then continue and pay for the TEAS appointment with a credit card.
- When prompted, choose "Allied Health" PTA program. Ignore any other option that may appear.
WHERE SHOULD I GO ON MY SCHEDULED TEST DATE?
Review information on the ATI website regarding accessing the TEAS on test day. Contact FCC’s Testing Center ([email protected]) with any questions.
HOW LONG DOES THE TEST TAKE?
Applicants should allow four (4) hours to take the test. Please arrive or log in early, as testing will start promptly at the scheduled times. Applicants will not be allowed to test upon late arrival or login, and will forfeit testing fees. Applicants are able to reschedule by following the Registration Instructions listed above.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO THE TEST?
Review information on the ATI website regarding required and allowable materials for testing. Contact FCC’s Testing Center ([email protected]) with any questions.
HOW MUCH DOES THE TEST COST?
For cost of taking ATI TEAS, see current cost information at www.atitesting.com. Non‐FCC students applying to other programs must pay an additional $30 testing fee. The FCC Testing Center accepts cash, check made payable to FCC, and credit or bank cards.
WHAT IF I'VE ALREADY TAKEN THE TEAS AT ANOTHER SCHOOL?
- TEAS scores that qualify an application for review (see “SCORE” FAQs) and that will be less than two years old at the application deadline are valid and can be submitted with the application to the PTA Program. Applicants must log into the ATI website and request that a copy of previous scores be sent to the FCC Testing Center. FCC Testing Center contact information is available on the ATI website. Applicants must upload a copy of their qualifying TEAS scores, which shows scores for all areas of the TEAS, with their online application to FCC’s PTA Program.
- Only ATI TEAS scores are accepted for application to FCC’s PTA Program.
- If TEAS scores will be older than 2 years at the application deadline, the TEAS must be taken again and qualifying TEAS scores must be earned for an applicant to be considered for admission.
HOW CAN I STUDY FOR THE TEAS?
- ATI offers a study manual and two practice assessments for the TEAS. These study materials can be found on the ATI website. For information about study materials, click on "ATI Product Solutions" and "Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)."
- Students may also purchase TEAS study materials from FCC’s Bookstore.
- Copies of the ATI Official study manual are available on reserve in FCC’s Gladhill Learning Commons (Linganore Hall). These copies cannot be checked out of the library and students should refrain from marking up the manuals.
- There are other websites that offer TEAS prep material. (Simply search online for "TEAS test prep" or "TEAS practice questions"), and there are apps than can be downloaded to smartphones.
- In general, first‐year level classes at FCC should also be good preparation for the TEAS. The Science portion of the TEAS does require some knowledge of general cell biology, basic chemistry, and topics covered in Anatomy & Physiology.
HOW OFTEN CAN I TAKE THE TEAS?
- Students can take the TEAS twice during each application and admissions cycle. There are application and admission cycles in the fall semester and in the spring/summer semester each academic year. Please consult the PTA department website for application due dates..
- The TEAS must be paid for each time it is taken. It is possible for an applicant to take the TEAS twice in each testing (admission and application) window, as long as the applicant schedules an appointment for one of the days offered in the beginning of the testing window dates.
- Students can take the TEAS one time only during any 30‐day period. Students who wish to take the TEAS a second time must wait a minimum of 30 days in between attempts.
An applicant must submit qualifying TEAS scores with their application to the PTA Program to be considered for admission.
Minimum qualifying TEAS Score – all scores must be achieved on the same test:
- Minimum qualifying TEAS Score
- Overall score in the proficient range or above (minimum 60% overall)
- Minimum reading score of 60%
- Minimum math score of 60%
- Minimum science score of 60%
- Minimum English score of 60%
A qualifying TEAS score cannot be older than 2 years at the application deadline.
WHAT DO I DO ONCE I HAVE MY TEAS SCORES?
- When scores meet the minimum qualifying requirements: A copy of the results must be submitted to the FCC Testing Center if taken through another testing location. When taking the TEAS through the FCC Testing Center, students will receive a printed copy of their scores soon after completion of the test. Applicants may request a personal copy of the results. These scores will be verified with ATI once your scores becomes official. If the TEAS was taken somewhere other than FCC, students must request an official copy of their scores from ATI. ATI charges for a transcript request, and this can be paid by credit or bank card. Visit the ATI website and log in. Students need to upload TEAS exam results showing all qualifying scores for all sections of the TEAS with the online Nursing Program application.
- When scores DO NOT meet the minimum requirements: Applicants will not be considered for admission to the program. Review materials are available for studying and applicants may retake the TEAS at least 30 days after their previous attempt. Applicant must earn qualifying TEAS scores prior to the application deadline. .
- How do I report my score? If the TEAS exam is taken through the Testing Center at FCC, the student will print out 2 copies of the results. One copy is for the student, the other copy is for the Testing Center. Each applicant must upload a copy of their qualifying TEAS scores with their application to FCC’s PTA Program regardless of whether they completed the TEAS through FCC’s Testing Center or through another Testing Location. The uploaded TEAS scores must show scores for all sections of the TEAS exam.
Complete Selective Admissions Courses
FCC's physical therapist assistant (PTA) program has prerequisite courses for all students. New FCC Students should apply to the College by completing all admissions steps, and then complete all prerequisite courses. For more information or assistance, email or call the Admissions Office at 301.629.7896, or stop by the Admissions Office in the Student Center (H-106). Recommended course pathways are listed under the curriculum for each program.
Recommend that applicants meet with an advisor prior to applying to review all requirements.
Dr. Amelia Iams
Director of Physical Therapist Assistant Education
Your enrollment at Frederick Community College is complete when you have paid for your courses. Please take note of important payment deadlines
. You can either pay in-full or sign up for the interest-free payment plan
To apply for Financial Assistance, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
and take advantage of federal, state, and institutional grants, work study, and student loans.
To apply for Scholarships through The FCC Foundation, Inc., click here
For more information about paying your bill and financial aid, see Cost and Financial Aid
Physical Therapy Assistant Program Requirements
The application period for each program will open for a pre-determined amount of time. The deadlines for each program are listed below. During the open application period, a link will be available on this page. Please review the Physical Therapy Assistant page for additional information about the nursing application process.
PTA Prerequisites and Point Scale
PTA Program application deadline: May 1, 2022