FINANCIAL AID FOR SUMMER 2018 SEMESTER
Registration for the Summer 2018 semester began on April 16, 2018. There are limitations to financial aid eligibility during the Summer semester.
Please review the following guidelines and information:
- Complete your 2017-2018 AND 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by visiting www.FAFSA.gov. Please keep in mind, it will take us up to two weeks to receive your FAFSA once submitted.
- Once FCC receives your FAFSA, we will add any additional information we need from you to your PeopleSoft To-Do List. Processing of financial aid verification documents can take 4-6 weeks to complete, so it’s best to get started as early as possible! You can log into PeopleSoft here.
- Register for courses required to complete your FCC degree program plan. Federal Student Aid (FSA) cannot be used to pay for courses that are not required for you to graduate.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards at FCC. SAP standards can be reviewed here: https://www.frederick.edu/cost-financial-aid/financial-aid/eligibility.aspx
- The Financial Aid Office will automatically award Summer Federal Pell Grant eligibility based on the information below. Please note, no separate application is necessary unless you are applying for a Federal Direct Student Loan.
Federal Pell Grant Awards
The Department of Education allows a student to receive Federal Pell Grant funds for up to 150% of the scheduled Pell Grant award for an award year. The 2017-18 award year started on July 1, 2017 and ends on June 30, 2018. The Financial Aid Office at FCC has chosen to use Summer 2018 as a “trailer semester”, since the term begins prior to June 30, 2018. All Summer sessions are combined and considered to be a single term in order for us to determine eligibility based on credit hours.
A “trailer semester” is one that looks at remaining eligibility after the Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters to determine remaining eligibility for the Summer 2018 semester. A student who has already received two full-time (12+ credit hours per semester) Pell Grant awards – full-time in the Fall 2017 and full-time in the Spring 2018 semesters, would be entitled to another full-time Pell Grant award during the Summer term; however, you must take a minimum of 6 credit hours to use the additional 150% Pell Grant Award during the “trailer semester”. A part-time (less than 12 credit hours per semester) student during the Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 semester(s) may have Pell Grant eligibility for Summer without being required to take at least 6 credit hours due to the fact that the first 100% of Pell Grant eligibility has not been exhausted.
- Attended half time (6-8 credits) during the Fall 2017 semester and received a half-time award (equal to 25% of total Pell Grant eligibility for the 2017-18 award year) and attended half-time during the Spring 2018 half-time award (equal to 25% of total Pell Grant eligibility for the 2017-18 award year). The student has a remaining 50% (100%-25% Fall 2017-25% Spring 2018) award and could attend up to full-time during the Summer.
– Attended three-quarter time (9-11 credits) during Fall 2017 and received a three-quarter time award (equal to 37.5% of total Pell Grant eligibility for the 2017-18 award year) an attended full-time (12+ credits) during Spring 2018 and received a full-time award (equal to 50% of total Pell Grant eligibility for the 2017-18 award year). The student has a remaining 12.5% (100%-37.5% Fall 2017-50% Spring 2018) award, which is worth 1-5 credits, BUT if the student attends more than 6 credits during the Summer they would be eligible to receive Pell up to the 150% award limits. If this same student only attends as less-than-half-time (1-5 credits), they would only be eligible for the additional 12.5% award from the remaining award year amount.
Summer Federal Direct Student Loans
If you have not used your 2017-18 total annual loan limit, and you will be attending at least 6 credits (of coursework required of your FCC degree program), you may apply for a Summer 2018 Federal Direct Student Loan. The 2017-18 Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form can be found in your PeopleSoft “To Do List”; however, if you have already borrowed a loan during the Fall and/or Spring semester(s), you will need to contact our office in order to have the link to the 2017-18 Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form reinitiated.
Withdrawing from Summer Classes
If you are awarded a Federal Pell Grant and/or a Federal Direct Loan, please check with the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawing from any classes. Withdrawing from courses can impact your financial aid eligibility.
If you are awarded financial aid funds and you decide not to attend the class(es), please drop the class(es) prior to the start date. You will not receive any funds for classes in which you never begin attendance.