Alternate Basic Rider Course (ABRC)
This class is intended for a rider who has street experience seeking a class “M” License.
An individual with a Maryland driver’s license who satisfactorily completes the Basic Rider Course (BRC) or the Alternate Basic Rider Course (ABRC) will receive a Motorcycle Safety Program Completion Certificate. This certificate can be presented at any MVA full-service office for a Class "M" license.
If you do not have a driver’s license, please see the information on the Graduated Licensing System
, which applies to all applicants for a first license. You must have a valid license to add the Class M to before your Completion Certificate expires (6 months).
Alternate Basic Rider Course (ABRC) Fees
$269 – Frederick County Residents
$274 – Maryland Residents outside of Frederick County
$279 – Non-Maryland Residents
Students must possess a current driver’s license or held a learner’s permit (C or M) for at least 9 months. A parent or guardian of a student under the age of 18 years must accompany the student and sign a consent/release form on the first day of class. Course payment must be received at the time of registration.
To participate in this course, riders must be able to
- Use the clutch and throttle to get the motorcycle in motion
- Stop the motorcycle properly in a designated area
- Execute gradual and tight turns
- Upshift and downshift smoothly
- Achieve a speed of 25mph
During the initial rider activities, each rider’s ability to operate a motorcycle will be evaluated by the instructors. Riders unable to demonstrate minimum riding proficiency will not be permitted to continue and will not receive a refund. These riders may be candidates for the Basic Rider Course (an additional fee may be required for enrollment.)
Protective clothing (eye protection, suitable jacket, long sleeves, long pants, full-fingered gloves and over-the-ankle footwear) and only open (a.k.a. 3/4) or full-face helmets may be worn.
Training motorcycles are provided to students as personal motorcycles are not permitted for use during this course.
Participants are encourage to review the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Experienced Rider Course℠ Classroom Cards prior to the start of the course. The information will form the basis for classroom discussions and serve as insight on riding instruction provided during the range training lessons.
To successfully complete the course, students are required to:
- Participate in all course sessions
- Pass a written skills test
- Pass a riding skills test
Upon successful completion, you will receive a Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program Completion Card and completion certificate. You are also eligible to receive a Class “M” Motorcycle license. Learn more about obtaining your motorcycle license at MVA.Maryland.gov. Please note: Students are not guaranteed to complete the course, pass the test or obtain a license. (The course Completion Certificate is only valid for 6 months.)
- A motorcycle learner’s permit in not required for participation.
- Course curriculum, approved by the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), meets or exceeds the standards set by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
- All learning activities are conducted at the riding range, including discussions preparing to ride, practice riding, road management and advanced riding techniques
- There is no guarantee that participants will pass the course and/or earn a Class M Motorcycle License.
- The Late Policy indicates students arriving late to class will not be permitted to participate in class activities.
- Instruction is provided rain or shine.