Each year, FCC proctors over 14,500 exams for our highly qualified faculty and staff.
We are committed to providing:
- Exceptional customer service
- Professional development for faculty interested in test design, test theory, and other best practices.
- Accommodations for faculty whenever possible in accordance with National College Testing Association guidelines.
Testing Center Guidelines for Faculty
Please note that per FCC Center for Teaching and Learning procedure, the Testing Center cannot proctor an entire classes’ assessments unless the class is an on-line/hybrid course.
Departmental exam services are designed to assist with individual student’s make-up exams, students with accommodations, capstone/certifications, selected developmental certifications and placement related testing/retesting.
Online/hybrid course instructors must schedule entire class proctored assessments before the final week of the classes’ academic session to allow time for re-testing if the grade from proctored assessments is incompatible with other earned semester grades.
- On-line course instructors are required to schedule at least one but no more than two entire class proctored assessments per semester to be in compliance with the Center for Teaching and Learning’s (CTL) Standards.
- Hybrid course instructors may schedule no more than one entire class proctored assessment per semester to be in compliance with the Center for Teaching and Learning’s (CTL) Standards.
When you would like to schedule an exam in the Testing Center, the typical procedure is as follows:
- Fill out a FCC Testing Center Exam Form. This can be done in person at the Testing Center or downloaded and submitted via email. A copy of the form can be found HERE . You can also obtain these forms in the mailroom and from academic office managers. If submitting your form and exam by e-mail, you should e-mail to the address listed on the bottom of the Testing Center Exam Form. SPECIAL NOTE: The Testing Center shared mailbox is not actively monitored from Friday at 4:30 p.m. to Monday at 9:00 a.m.
- Be sure to be as explicit as possible when filling out the Testing Center Exam Form. Include an exact time limit or lack of time limit, the dates which the test can be administered and expires, proctoring instructions, accommodation plan (if necessary), allowed testing aids and any other information which you feel is pertinent.
- Please provide multiple methods to contact you, and ensure your contact information is accurate. In the event that a student encounters a problem or an issue arises that requires your attention, our team will reach out to you immediately. Note that a student’s anxiety levels can increase dramatically (which may impact their performance) if we are unable to contact their instructor. In some cases this may result in a delay in the student’s testing experience.
- Please verify your proctoring instructions. Proctors are required to have students lock up all personal belongings. Only items explicitly allowed by faculty members are permitted in the exam rooms. For example, if you verbally tell students that they are permitted to take in a text book, note cards, calculator, scrap paper, ruler, etc. but it is not marked on your Testing Center Exam Form, students will not be allowed to take these items in the exam room. This also can increase student anxiety, and requires us to make immediate contact with you to correct the form.
- Proctors are required to follow a professor’s specified time limit. Please be sure to be specific about the time limit allowed (example 1hr, 2hr, untimed) and that you have communicated the time limit accurately to the student. Students who attempt your exam with less time limit than allowed (such as at closing) are required to sign a waiver form which will be sent to you. All exam materials are collected from test takers at closing time or when their time is up.
- Please include the full/proper names of all students eligible to take the exam on the Testing Center Exam Form. Names on the Testing Center Exam Form should match the names on the students picture ID. – No nicknames! You can add an additional sheet of paper to the list of names if there is not enough space on the exam form. Proctors are not allowed to administer exams to students who are not listed on this form.
- Please make sure that you include enough exams, Scantrons, blue books, etc. for each student.Sometimes instructors who are rushed forget to do this, which requires us to contact you and delays the student’s testing experience.
- Please review all requirements for students and communicate those requirements to students prior to testing. Make sure that students understand when the exam is available and for what period of time. Typically, faculty members give students one to two weeks to complete an exam. Note, exams are not allowed to expire on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Please check your email. You will be e-mailed after your exams have been completed. We seal and lock up each exam as soon as it is completed. You are required to come to the Testing Center and “sign out” completed paper exams. If you are unable to come in personally, please contact the Testing Center at 301.846.2522.
- Please note the Testing Center CANNOT accept students' homework assignments, late work, take home exams/work, or graded exams to be distributed back to students. This CTL procedure is designed to protect classroom academic integrity of all FCC courses.