For Students

Start Here

My Transfer Plan

is a booklet that will guide you through the transfer process and assist you in navigating the information on this website. You can print this booklet or pick up a copy in Counseling & Advising.
expand icon Searching for a College

Student Support Services
Are adequate and high quality student services available?
Tips for Finding Your College Match Handout

Things to Consider
If you plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, there are several factors you should consider:

Academic Offerings 

Is the major or degree program you're interested in available?


Is the cost of attendance within reason for you? Does the college participate in financial aid or offer scholarships?

Admission Requirements
Do you meet the admission requirements for the college? Does the major or degree program you're interested in have additional admission requirements?

Is the institution accredited by a regional accreditation board?

Quality of Education
Does the program or institution have a good reputation for providing high quality educational experiences?

Here are some helpful resources to assist you in locating colleges with the criteria you require:

For Colleges Throughout the US
 • CollegeBoard
 • CollegeSource
 • Peterson's Guide to Colleges

For Maryland Colleges

Online Programs
 • Peterson's Guide to Colleges
 • The Southern Regional Electronic Board
A consortium of regionally accredited colleges in the southern region (including Maryland) offering online courses and programs.

It’s a good idea to meet with an advisor for help finding a degree program and selecting the appropriate FCC courses for you. Contact the FCC Counseling & Advising Office

expand icon Transferring Credits

One of the most frequently asked questions from students considering transfer schools is "Will my credits transfer?" With careful planning and a little research, you can increase the likelihood of the answer to this question being "Yes."


Here are some of the most important factors influencing transfer of credits:

General Education or Core Requirements -
Each college establishes its own general education requirements — requirements that form the foundation of a student's academic experience at that institution. By selecting a transfer school early, you can better select courses that will satisfy your transfer school's general education requirements. General education courses taken at FCC will be accepted as meeting general education requirements at Maryland four-year public colleges, but that is not necessarily the case with Maryland private colleges or out-of-state colleges. This is why early planning is so important.

Major Requirements
 - Every academic degree offered by an institution consists of both general education requirements and specific courses required for that particular major. Deciding on a major early can ensure that you select the most appropriate courses for your intended major.

Maximum Transfer Credits
 - Each college determines the maximum number of credits from a community college they will accept in transfer. Often this maximum is 60 credits, which is half of the number of credits required for a bachelor's degree. However, some schools offer greater flexibility and accept a higher number of credits. Be sure to research the maximum number of credits a college accepts to help ensure that every credit counts.

Out-of-State Colleges/Universities - 
Transferring to an out-of-state college requires more planning, and since out-of-state colleges are often not as familiar with our courses as other Maryland schools, it may require a bit of guess work and direct communication with the four-year school to determine the most appropriate courses to take while at FCC. Meeting with an FCC transfer counselor can be a good first step, but also visit the college's website to learn about course requirements, and make contact with a transfer admission staff person at that school for assistance.

Check for Yourself

Use ARTSYS, an online articulation program, to check the transferability of your FCC credits to the following Maryland colleges:

 • Bowie State University
 • Capitol College
 • Coppin State University
 • Frostburg State University
 • Goucher College
 • Hood College
 • McDaniel College
 • Morgan State University
 • Mount St Mary's University
 • Notre Dame of Maryland University
 • Salisbury University
 • St. Mary’s College of Maryland
 • Stevenson University
 • Towson University
 • University of Baltimore
 • University of Maryland Baltimore
 • University of Maryland Baltimore County
 • University of Maryland College Park - Also check out their own independent transfer database: Transfer Credit Services
 • University of Maryland Eastern Shore
 • University of Maryland University College
 • Washington College

Here are some other area colleges with their own online transfer equivalency databases:

 • Penn State University
 • Shepherd University
 • Shippensburg University
 • Virginia Tech

FCC also has many Transfer Articulation Agreements that involve curriculum guides that show what courses students can take at FCC to fulfill major program requirements at particular four-year colleges.

expand icon Transfer Articulation Agreements

To assist students in transferring, FCC has transfer articulation agreements with a variety of institutions. The agreements generally maximize the number of credits students will be able to transfer from FCC to result in a smooth transition from one institution to the other.

 These agreements are in addition to the state of Maryland's computerized articulation system, called ARTSYS, which outlines individual course equivalencies and recommended transfer programs for a variety of majors offered by all Maryland Public Institutions and a number of private institutions. Students can access ARTSYS at 

Students can find a list of these Transfer Articulation Agreements in the FCC Academic Catalog (available on the FCC Website). Specific agreements can also be found on the related FCC Academic Program websites.

expand icon Financial Aid/Scholarships

A variety of programs are available to students to help defray the costs of higher learning. Financial assistance falls into three general categories: scholarships, federal aid, and state aid.

Federal Financial Aid

Two general types of assistance are available: Pell grants and student loans.

The Pell Grant
This program provides grants to eligible full-and part-time students. Eligibility is determined by a formula established by the government and based on information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA). Students must go to the Federal Financial Aid website, to complete and submit the (FAFSA). Unlike student loans, Pell grants do not require repayment by the student.

Student Loans
This program provides low interest, long-term loans offered by the federal government and various state banking agencies. Students qualify for these loans by demonstrating financial need through completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA). Generally students must begin to repay the loans within six months of completing their schooling.
State Aid
Through the State Scholarship Administration,  the State of Maryland provides a number of scholarship and grant opportunities to Maryland residents to further their education beyond high school. In addition, tuition tax credits for eligible families can help offset the cost of a college education. Visit

In addition to individual colleges/universities organizations, the State of Maryland and the University System of Maryland offer scholarships and grants to help pay the cost of higher education.

 The State of Maryland provides a number of scholarship and grant opportunities to Maryland residents to further their education beyond high school. Some of these opportunities are specifically available to community college students transferring to four-year colleges.

University System of Maryland Regents Scholars Program
 The Regents Scholarships will provide financial assistance to exceptional community college students earning the Associates Degree or 56 credits. A limited number of scholarships are awarded for the full cost of in-state tuition and mandatory fees as well as living expenses (comparable to on-campus room and board) and a book stipend for students attending on a full-time basis. There is generally at least one scholarship designated for a part-time student. For some scholarships, students must demonstrate financial need. By maintaining the appropriate academic standing, the Regents Scholars may receive this generous support for two years (four semesters).

Transfer Scholarship Websites for State and Local Colleges
Bowie State University
Coppin State University
Frostburg State University
Hood College
Morgan State University
Mount Saint Mary's University
Salisbury University
Shepherd University
Towson University
University of Baltimore 
University of Maryland College Park
University of Maryland Eastern Shore
University of Maryland University College

Other Scholarships
The Community Foundation of Frederick County
The Community Foundation has over 100 scholarship opportunities available in a wide variety of academic disciplines.

Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships
If you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa, you may be eligible for a national PTK scholarship.

The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship Program
This is the largest scholarship offered in the US to community college transfer students. Students across the country compete for approximately 50 scholarships. Each award covers a portion of educational expenses, including tuition, living expenses, required fees, and books for the final two to three years of the baccalaureate degree. The maximum available per student is $40,000 per year.



Transfer Resources

Jefferson Hall (J-200)
301.846.2625 TDD
Email Transfer Services

Monday: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
(Thursdays: open until 6:00 p.m. in July, August, January)
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Transfer Counseling by appointment


Related Links

Counseling & Advising Homepage

Career Services


Transfer Events