For Students

Start Here

My Transfer Plan
is a booklet that will guide you through the transfer process and assist you in navigating the information on this website. You can print this booklet or pick up a copy in Counseling & Advising.
Searching for a College

Things to Consider
If you plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, there are several factors you should consider:

Academic Offerings 

Is the major or degree program you're interested in available?


Is the cost of attendance within reason for you? Does the college participate in financial aid or offer scholarships?

Admission Requirements
Do you meet the admission requirements for the college? Does the major or degree program you're interested in have additional admission requirements?

Is the institution accredited by a regional accreditation board?

Quality of Education
Does the program or institution have a good reputation for providing high quality educational experiences?

Student Support Services
Are adequate and high quality student services available?
Tips for Finding Your College Match Handout

Advising FAQs


New Students

1.Glossary of advising terms (Here’s what we said. This is what it means.)

Academic Calendar – The Academic Calendar provides start and end dates for each semester; the dates to drop a class and get a refund, dates the College is open and closed, the last date to withdraw for the semester, and other important dates. The Academic Calendar is published in the Credit Course Schedule each semester.

Academic Catalog – The Academic Catalog is the annual College publication that lists all majors and degrees, all courses and their descriptions, all academic and College policies, and current faculty and staff members. It is available online. Students refer to the Academic Catalog to search their major requirements and learn about College policies.

Advising – Students meet with an advisor to discuss academic and career goals and create an educational plan which includes developing strategies and using resources and services to reach your goals.

Audit – Auditing a course means enrolling in an academic course without planning to earn the credits or receive a grade.

Course Descriptions – An overview of each course, including topics to be covered and pre-requisites needed to enroll in it; Course descriptions are found in the Academic Catalog and Credit Course Schedule.

Credit Course Schedule - The published schedule of classes offered each semester; gives days and times for each course along with required pre-requisites and descriptions. Students use the Credit Course Schedule to select classes and build their schedule each semester.

Credits - Credits are the number of units assigned to a course based on the number of hours spent in class. Credits can be from 1 credit for a brief, once-a-week PE course to 4 credits for a science class that meets in both a lecture and a lab section each week.

Developmental English or Math - Classes that are intended to develop students’ basic academic skills in preparation for college-level courses in English or Math are considered developmental. Credits are based on contact hours for tuition but do not count toward graduation as they are not college-level courses. Enrollment in developmental courses is based upon placement testing.

General Education Courses - Required courses from various academic disciplines that have been designated to provide a broad, general knowledge. General Education courses are found on the General Education Course List published in the credit course schedule each semester and in the Academic Catalog.

Major – A major is an academic area of study, also called a program of study.

New Student - A student who has not yet attended FCC, or who is beginning his/her first semester at FCC, is considered a new student.

Placement Test – A placement test is offered to provide an assessment of academic reading, writing, and/or mathematical skills to determine accurate placement of students into classes.

Pre-registration – Pre-registration is a period of time during the registration cycle when students can register for classes and pay later. All current students are encouraged to register early during pre-registration.

Registration – Registration is a period when students enroll in classes online using the PeopleSoft registration system or hand in a registration form in the Registration and Records office in Jefferson Hall (J-101).

Semester – Semesters are measured timeframes for academic study. FCC has the following semesters: Fall, JTerm, Spring, and Summer.

Withdrawal – To officially establish a withdrawal from a course or courses a student wishes to discontinue attending REQUIRES that students either drop the course online, or complete the drop section of a registration form which is submitted to the Registration and Records office in Jefferson Hall (J-101). A student who stops attending a class but does not officially withdraw will receive an automatic F grade. Withdrawals must take place prior to the "last date to withdraw" listed in the Academic Calendar for each semester.

2.How do I get started?

All new students start by completing the Steps for Admission which include applying to the College, submitting college entrance exam scores (SAT or ACT) or taking placement tests, and submitting high school or other college transcripts.

3.I’m a new student - do I need to take placement tests?

Students can check placement test exemptions at the Testing Center webpage

4.I’m transferring to FCC - do I need to take placement tests?

New transfer students who have completed English Composition AND college-level Mathematics at their previous college do not need to take placement tests (official transcripts need to be sent). Click here for details. If you have completed credit in one area but not the other, you would need to take the placement test for the area with no transferable credit. For example, if you have transferable credit for EN101, but not for college-level math, you would need to take only the math placement test. Transfer students who do not have transferable credits in English or Math, but have appropriate SAT or ACT scores, are also exempt from placement testing (see “new student” placement info above).



1.Who is my advisor?

All new students initially meet with an advisor in Counseling & Advising or in the office from which they are receiving special services, such as Services for Students with Disabilities or Adult Services. In subsequent semesters, students are advised according to their major. General Studies and undecided students are advised in Counseling & Advising. Declared majors are advised by their faculty advisor, usually the department chair or program manager. Check the Advisor Contact List to determine the advisor for your major.


2.Why do I need advising?

Students need to see an advisor to make sure they are taking the classes required in their major and are meeting any other degree requirements. Students also see advisors for planning future classes, selecting a major or career, creating a transfer plan, and obtaining referrals for academic services as needed.

3.When should I meet with my advisor?

Students should see their advisor during registration if they need help choosing classes. Current students are encouraged to see their advisor as early as possible during the registration period when all courses are open and seats are available. Students should also see their advisor, as needed, to discuss issues of concern, get a referral for academic support services, or to do long-range planning.

4.How do I make an educational plan?

Students work with an advisor to create an Individual College Academic Plan (ICAP), which is a comprehensive outline of all the things they need to do to complete their degree. Students are emailed a copy of their ICAP so they can follow up on recommendations outlined in their plan.

5.How can I track my progress toward my degree?

The "My Degree Plan" advising tool can be accessed online to track the classes you've taken, the grades you've received, the courses you still need for your major, the number of credits earned, and your GPA. It is a great tool to use prior to meeting with your advisor or before web registering. Always check your "Degree Plan" using the PeopleSoft system to make sure the class you signed up for meets your degree requirements.

6.What are Academic Alert and Academic Probation?

Academic Alert and Academic Probation are terms used to describe the status of a student's academic standing and occur when students do not make satisfactory progress in their courses. A complete description of each term and its consequences is available here.

7.How do I calculate my GPA?

GPA is calculated based on a formula using numerical values for grades. A complete explanation and our GPA calculator are available here.

8.How do I know what classes to take?

The classes needed to complete each program of study are specified in each degree or certificate program and can be found by viewing the major/degree requirements in the Academic Catalog or by using your "Degree Plan" in PeopleSoft.

9.What are General Education courses and where can I find them?

General Education (Gen Ed) courses are intended to provide students with a broad, general knowledge in various academic subjects. Gen Eds are required in each college major and are clearly identified in the degree requirements. Students select courses from the General Education Course List published in the Academic Catalog and Credit Course schedules. Gen Ed requirements are also clearly specified in the "My Degree Plan" in PeopleSoft.

10. What kind of job can I get with my major?

Students can check out the Career and Transfer Resources link “What can I do with a major in …?” to find out all the different jobs they can do based on their college major. The Counseling and Advising office, located in Jefferson Hall (J-201), has books and videos students can use to learn how their academic majors connect to their career choices.

11. How can I learn about my future career?

Students can learn about their intended career field through Career Exploration links on the Career and Transfer Resources webpage, or by visiting Counseling & Advising, located in Jefferson Hall (J-201), for relevant books and videos, or by scheduling an appointment with one of our knowledgeable career advisors.

12.How can I plan for transfer?

Students can learn about the transfer process by visiting the Career and Transfer Resources webpage or by visiting Counseling & Advising, located in Jefferson Hall (J-201), for books, videos, and application materials, or by scheduling an appointment with our transfer counselor.



1.What is the difference between Advising and Registering?

Advising is the process of meeting with an advisor to review academic and career goals, develop a comprehensive plan to meet your goals, learn about your major’s requirements, and select courses for your FCC degree and your future transfer school. Registration is the act of signing up for classes using web registration, or by completing a registration form to submit in Registration and Records in Jefferson Hall (J-101).

2.How do I register for classes?

Students can register online using PeopleSoft, or they can register in person by completing a registration form and submitting it to Registration and Records in Jefferson Hall (J-101). It is important to note that students on Academic Alert or Academic Probation must meet with an advisor to have their registration form signed prior to submitting it to Registration and Records, and therefore, cannot register online. If you choose to register after a class has already started, please refer to this helpful handout.


3.How do I drop a class?

Students who choose to drop a class must withdraw online using PeopleSoft or must complete the drop section of a registration form and submit it to Registration and Records in Jefferson Hall (J-101). Students receiving financial aid are strongly encouraged to check with Financial Aid in Jefferson Hall (J-301) or at 301.846.2620 prior to withdrawing to fully understand how it may affect their aid package. Students who simply stop attending classes, but do not officially withdraw, will receive a failing grade for the course.

4.What important dates or deadlines should I be aware of?

There are many important dates each semester that are critical for students to know: semester start and end dates, holidays and semester breaks, withdrawal dates when refunds are given, and the last day to withdraw from a class without a penalty. These dates and deadlines are specified in the Academic Calendar and can be found each semester in the Credit Course Schedule, and students are expected to know these important dates.


5.The class I wanted is full. Is there a way I can be added?

Students typically cannot be added to a full class due to classroom capacity. Students who have a direct need to access a course can meet with an advisor to explore alternatives. The advisor will forward the student’s request to the department chair in extreme cases where the student’s inability to access a course will result in delayed graduation.

Advising Tools

Academic Dates/Deadlines
Advising Forms
Advisor Contact List
Change of Major
Email Advising
FCC Catalog
Online GPA Calculator
Excel GPA Calculator
Peoplesoft Purple Card

Counseling & Advising Homepage


Office Hours

M: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
T: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
W: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
TH: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.*
(*open until 6:00 p.m. July, August, January)
F: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Office closed April 3rd, 4th, and 5th for Advisor Training Days.
Please contact advising if you have any questions during this time.

College and Career Readiness
Jefferson Hall (J-200)

Contact Counseling & Advising