FCC Graduation & Commencement
Congratulations to the Class of 2021, FCC students who have completed their degree and/or certificate credentials in August or December 2020, or will do so in May 2021. This is a significant achievement, and our entire College community is proud of you.
All eligible graduates will receive an email to their FCC email account with an invitation and link to order a cap and gown. Students who order a cap and gown will receive an invitation at their myFCC student email account to participate in Celebrating the Class of 2021 Graduates.
*Note: Eligible May 2021 graduates must submit or have a graduation application on file by the April 1st deadline and be pre-approved by the Associate Registrar in order to request a cap and gown and participate in the celebration.
COMMENCEMENT vs GRADUATION
Commencement refers to the ceremony, officiated by the president of the College, where you share the excitement and importance of your academic accomplishments with peers, family, and friends. Frederick Community College confers/awards credentials three times a year with conferral dates of August, December, or May. Diplomas are mailed towards the end of the month in October, February, and July.
Graduation is a multi-step process consisting of submitting a graduation application, completing all academic requirements for the degree or certificate, and settling all outstanding financial obligations (tuition balances, parking tickets, library fines, etc.) prior to receiving your diploma.
If you are a Federal Stafford Student Loan recipient and you are graduating, you must complete the required exit loan counseling at https://www.studentaid.gov. Follow the instructions for exit loan counseling. If you have questions regarding your loan history, contact Financial Aid at 301.846.2620.
Graduation Application Process
Step 1: In your myFCC PeopleSoft account, verify your academic program requirements for your major viewing your FCC transcript and academic advisement report in the Academics Records tile. (contact assigned Academic Advisor, Faculty Mentor, or Program Manager for assistance)
Step 2: If you have additional credits from another college or university, send official transcripts to FCC and/or request official exam scores to be sent to FCC (CLEP, AP, DSST, PRAXIS, etc.)
Step 3: Submit the Graduation Application by published deadline
Associate and Certificate Degrees
Students who anticipate completing the requirements for an associate degree or certificate are required to apply for graduation through their PeopleSoft Student Center or via the Graduation Application Form.
- A student can only submit an onlinePeopleSoft application through their myFCC PeopleSoft Student Center for their current major. If a student is submitting an application for multiple credentials and/or a credential that is not their current major, they will need to submit the paper graduation application.
- Login to PeopleSoft account
- Select the Student Center tile
- Under Academics select the drop down menu “other academic”
- Select Apply for Graduation
- Follow form information fields and submit
- It is recommended that a student submit the Graduation Application when they register for their last required course(s).
- After a student submits a graduation application, the application will be reviewed and the student will receive an email regarding their graduation status. All emails will be sent to the student’s myFCC student email account.
- After final grades are posted and the end of a term processing is finalized, final graduation reviews will begin. If a student meets graduation requirements, their credential(s) will be posted to their student record and FCC transcript by posted dates and deadlines. No additional communication is sent. However, if a student does not meet graduation requirements by the deadline to award a credential, an updated graduation status email is sent to their myFCC student email account.
- Please see the published Dates and Deadlines for Graduation.
- Students may check their myFCC PeopleSoft account, Academic Records tile and view their unofficial transcript to see if a credential(s) has been posted.
Letter of Recognition
Students who wish to earn a Letter of Recognition (LOR) should fill out the online Letter of Recognition Graduation Application. After a student submits a LOR application, the application will be reviewed and the student will receive an email regarding their LOR status.
GRADUATION FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Don’t I just graduate automatically when I have finished my requirements?
No. To graduate from Frederick Community College, you need to submit a graduation application via your myFCC PeopleSoft account in the Student Center tile or Graduation Application Form.All students need to submit a graduation application to be awarded a credential.
What are the qualifications for graduation?
To qualify as a candidate for an Associate degree or certificate, students must successfully complete a prescribe curriculum as approved by the College and published in the Catalog.
Must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 for all work at the College.
Successfully complete a minimum of 60 college level credits to award an Associate degree. Note: some majors require additional GPA or final course grade requirements. AAT students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and meet the MSDE requirements (official documents to waive the MSDE requirement must be on file in Registration and Records).
Graduates have to have completed a minimum of 15 academic credits at FCC for an associate degree or 25% of required credits at FCC for certificate.
When should I apply to graduate?
Students should apply for graduation when they are in their last semester of classes. Please refer to the Graduation Dates and Deadlines. All students need to submit a graduation application to be awarded a credential. There are three graduation conferral dates for August, December, and May for an academic calendar year.
Do I have to pay a fee to graduate?
There is no fee to apply to graduate (no application fee) or to attend the annual Commencement ceremony.
Do I have to attend the ceremony in order to receive my diploma?
No. The graduation process and awarding of a credential is separate from the ceremony. FCC encourages you to attend the annual Commencement Ceremony to celebrate and recognize your academic accomplishments, but you do not have to attend in order to award your credential and receive a diploma. All diplomas are mailed to students to the mailing address on file. Please submit a Change of Address Form to update your mailing address.
What requirements do I need to graduate with Honors? There are three levels of honors awarded at the completion of degrees or certificates.
- High honors (associates) = a cumulative grade point average of 3.750 to 4.00
- Honors (associates) = a cumulative grade point average of 3.500 to 3.7490
- Distinction (certificates) = a cumulative grade point average of 3.750 to 4.00
Honors College Graduates
Students that qualify at graduation earn an Honors College transcript notation, and may wear the designated Honors College medallion at the Commencement Ceremony that reflect their academic achievement. Students qualify for the Honors College, High Honors designation on the FCC transcript and a gold medallion with 12 honors credits (3 honors credits must be at the 200 level) and a GPA of 3.750 or higher. Students earn an Honors College, Honors designation on the FCC transcript and a silver medallion with 12 honors credits (3 honors credits must be at the 200 level) and a GPA of 3.500-3.7490. Students merit the Honors College designation on the FCC transcript and a bronze medallion with 12 honors credits (3 honors credits must be at the 200 level) and a GPA of 3.250-3.490. For eligibility and information, please contact the Honors College Coordinator at [email protected]
I am a member of PTK.
For information on PTK eligibility and regalia, please contact the Center for Student Engagement at [email protected].
What happens if I do not successfully complete all the credits I need for my degree after I apply to graduate?
You will be notified via your myFCC student email account that you did not satisfy your requirements and you may apply again as soon as you register for your remaining classes or meet outstanding requirements.
Additional questions, contact [email protected].