Achieve your goals, discover your future and fulfill your dreams at FCC.
FCC's Adult Education classes are designed for adult education learners at every stage. With math, reading, writing and English courses available, FCC invites students of all ages to explore our Adult Education program.
• Adult Basic Education (ABE)
• General Education Development (GED®) Preparation
• External Diploma Program (EDP)
• English as a Second Language
Interested students are invited to attend a free orientation session to become familiar with the program, to determine eligibility requirements and receive answers to frequently asked questions.
Registration for the program is a two-part process. Qualified applicants complete Part One at orientation before being scheduled to complete Part Two (skills assessment to determine which class is best based on a student's needs.)
Adult Basic Education
Day and evening adult education classes are available for out-of-school individuals 16 years of age and older. Students develop real-life reading, math, writing, critical thinking and computer skills to become self-sufficient and productive at home, at work and in the community. Classes are offered at various levels to best fit the needs of our students.
General Education Development (GED) Preparation
Our GED® Preparation classes, available for out-of-school individuals 16 years of age and older, offer a review of writing, social studies, science, reading and math to prepare students for the GED® test. Each student's goal is to ultimately earn a Maryland High School Diploma.
External Diploma Program (EDP)
Students in the EDP program have an opportunity to earn a high school diploma based on acquired life skills, not just text book knowledge. The program uses real-life situations to practice problem solving, critical thinking, speaking, writing and computation skills. Available for out-of- school individuals 18 years of age and older, the program takes approximately eight months to complete.
English as a Second Language
Interested students have the option of participating in one of two programs: Community Based (free of charge for students with very little previous instruction, held in locations throughout the community) or Academic (credit courses held on FCC's campus requiring tuition, fees and placement testing).
Important Orientation Information
- Orientation is required. Interested students must attend an orientation prior to enrolling in any Adult Education courses.
- Orientations are free of charge; there is no need to schedule an appointment and pre- registration is not necessary.
- Registration is a two-part process: Part One is completed at orientation. Applicants are then scheduled to return to complete Part Two at a later date.
- An applicant's family members and friends are welcome to attend an orientation to assist with Part One of the registration process.
- Please do not bring children to orientation. Childcare is NOT AVAILABLE at any orientation at any time.
- Space is limited at orientations; please arrive early to ensure a spot.
Orientations are held at a variety of locations throughout Frederick County.
FCC Main Campus
7932 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick, MD 21702
Parking: Conference Center (Bldg E), Student Center (Bldg H) and Parking Garage.
TransIT: Bus #60, #61 or #80 - from FCC bus stop, walk left of library to Student Center (Bldg H) and Conference Center (Bldg E)
Business & Employment Center
5340 Spectrum Drive, Suite A, Frederick, MD 21703
76 East Moser Road Thurmont, MD 21788
915 N. Maple Avenue Brunswick, MD 21716
The Monroe Center
200 Monroe Avenue, Frederick, MD 21701
650 Carroll Parkway, Frederick, MD 21701
8009 Opossumtown Pike, Frederick, MD 21702