Online Writing Center
Grammar and Punctuation
Try these websites for explanations and exercises!
- Sentence Sense – Get a better understanding of sentence structure and test your knowledge with quizzes
- Guide to Grammar, sponsored by the Capital Community College Foundation—Read clear explanations on hundreds of grammar-related points and test your knowledge with quizzes
The Research Paper
Whether you are working on your first research paper or your tenth, chances are you have a few questions about the process. The links below are great resources for both an overview or for specific help.
FCC Library's Sites
- Term Paper Assistance
Information on style (MLA, APA), content, and how to evaluate internet sources.
- These databases give FCC students access to thousands of full newspaper and journal articles. A password is required for many of these. Please contact the library for more information (301.846.2444)
Other Good Research Paper Sites
Research and Citation
- Developing a working thesis
- Developing Details to Support a Research Topic
- Getting Started on a Research Paper
- Narrowing your research topic
- Parts of a Research Paper
- Taking Notes for Research
Handouts and Other Reference Materials
The handouts in the Writing Center explain and illustrate numerous writing and reading strategies. Topics include organizing an essay, using commas correctly, writing business letters and resumes, summarizing, citing sources in research papers, and more. Stop in to view the complete selection—and take a few home with you!
Essays and Paragraphs
- Grammar and Mechanics
You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files. It is a free download from Adobe Inc.