Choosing A Major
Often times, students are uncertain about which Major they should pursue when attending college. They may be aware of an interest in a particular subject area or in a possible career field, but are not sure how their interests apply to a declared program of study such as a college major.
The Career Center offers many online resources to help students figure out what they would like to study while they are attending FCC. Some of these resources include:
- A quick, free Career Assessment to determine your interests
- Links to the Occupational Outlook Handbook and other Career Exploration tools
- A Choosing a Major video with important points to consider in making your choice
- Answers to “What can I do with a Major in…?” to connect career options to majors
- A tutorial on Steps to Successful Decision Making
- An opportunity to Ask a Counselor questions about majors and careers
You can also stop by the on-campus Career and Transfer Center in J-201 to check out additional resources, or call their office at 301-846-2594 to schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor.
Regardless of how you choose to use FCC’s career resources, be sure to discuss what you’ve learned with your Advisor, so together you can incorporate that knowledge into your goals, adjust your academic plan, and select appropriate courses accordingly.