FCC Celebrates 55 Years
Classes for Frederick Community College first began September 18, 1957, when 77 students took evening classes that were held at Frederick High School. The first graduating class was in 1959.
Local teacher Louise Doty was the first full-time faculty member. She was joined by Emily Apple Payne who served as secretary to Dean Duval Sweadner (later given the title of president), and part time instructors Dr. Robert Emge who taught biology, and Dr. Harold Neufeld who taught first-year chemistry.
The college later moved from FHS to offer classes on North Market Street in 1966, and to its current location in 1970.