FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Thursday May 21, 2015 at 6:00 p.m.
Students who anticipate completing the requirements for an associate's degree or certificate of accomplishment are required to apply for Graduation through your PeopleSoft account. After signing in to PeopleSoft, choose Student Center. In "Academics" click on the drop down for "Other Academics" and select apply for graduation. Students who wish to earn a letter of recognition should fill out the Letter of Recognition Graduation Application form.
COMMENCEMENT vs GRADUATION
There are important differences between commencement and graduation with which you should be familiar.
Commencement refers to the ceremony, officiated by the President of the College, where you share the excitement and importance of your academic accomplishments with peers, family, and friends. It is also a time for the College, Board of Trustees, senior administrators, and faculty to pay special tribute to you for the outstanding efforts you have shown in earning your degree.
Graduation, on the other hand, is a three-step process consisting of submitting an Application for Graduation, completing all academic requirements for your degree or certificate, and settling all financial obligations. The administrative process of degree conferral will indicate your official date of graduation.
If you have not filled out the Application for Graduation in your People Soft Student Center or via the Graduation Application Form, please do so immediately or contact the Graduation & Records Manager with any questions.
There are four official conferral (degree posting) dates for which you may apply to graduate, one following each semester in January, May, August, and December. Commencement ceremony is held once per year in May. August, December, and January graduates will participate in the following May Commencement ceremony
Your actual diploma will be mailed to you to the address in your People Soft Student Center about 6-8 weeks after your conferral date. Your degree becomes official when it is posted to your transcript and not by your participation in commencement exercises.
• To qualify as a candidate for a degree of associate of arts, sciences, teaching, applied sciences, or certificate, you must successfully complete a prescribed curriculum as approved by the College.
• You must satisfy all financial obligations (tuition balances, parking tickets, library fines, etc.) prior to receiving your diploma. LOR recipients do not participate in the ceremony.
• Students who have been awarded honor stoles, cords or medals may wear them as well. Gold tassels will be distributed at the check-in area of the Student Center (Building H) on the day of the ceremony.
• Graduates who are members of Phi Theta Kappa should direct questions to the Center for Student Engagement at 301.624.2793.
• Veterans/Reservist/National Guard and Active Duty Military graduates should contact Rachel Nachlas in the Veteran Services office(A109) to request the Military Cord.
• Students in the Honors College have earned at least 12 credits in honors courses.
• Degree recipients receive graduation honors based on their overall GPA as of May 1, 2015. Honors are as follows: 3.50 - 3.74 graduate with Honors, 3.75 and above graduate with High Honors. Certificate recipients with an overall GPA of 3.75 will graduate with distinction. Graduation honors listed in the commencement program are tentative and based on GPA as of May 1, 2015; designation of graduation honors will be calculated based on final GPA at time of conferral.
• If you transfer credits from another college to fulfill requirements for graduation at FCC, you must have your transcript(s) on file in the Registration Center by March 30.
• If you are a Federal Stafford Student Loan recipient and you are graduating, you must complete the required exit loan counseling at www.studentloans.gov. Follow the instructions for exit loan counseling. If you have questions regarding your loan history, contact the Financial Aid Office at 301.846.2480. Please note, your diploma will not be released until this exit counseling has been completed.
August 2014 Graduation
Confer Date: 08/30/2014
Last day to apply: Friday, 8/15/2014
Posting date (showing on transcript): No later than 9/30/14
December 2014 Graduation
Confer Date: 12/30/2014
Last day to apply: Monday, 12/15/2014
Posting date (showing on transcript): No later than 1/30/2015
January 2015 Graduation
Confer Date: 01/30/2015
Last day to apply: Thursday, 1/15/2015
Posting date (showing on transcript): No later than 2/30/2015
May 2015 Graduation
Confer Date/Commencement: 5/21/2015
Last day to apply: Friday, 04/17/2015
Posting date (showing on transcript): No later than 6/21/15