Scholarship & Transfer
“Any transition serious enough to alter your definition of self will require not just small adjustments in your way of living and thinking but a full-on metamorphosis.” -- Martha Beck
O Magazine, Growing Wings, January 2004
FCC Foundation ScholarshipsThe FCC Foundation offers a variety of scholarships each year. Applications (STARS) are available by October 1 and due by December 1. Contact the FCC Financial Aid Office for more information.
Each year FCC awards Ambassador Scholarships to 30 Frederick County high school seniors who maintained a 3.5 grade average through grades 9-12. Students agree to serve as a school ambassador for at least ten hours per semester. Examples of opportunities include providing campus tours, performing college outreach functions, and assisting at college activities.
Full-time students will receive $350 for the fall semester, renewable for up to three additional semesters at variable amounts, depending on maintenance of at least a 3.0 grade point average and participation in the Ambassador Program. Applications are available at www.frederick.edu/register_now/scholarships.
Local & State Scholarships
Community Foundation of Frederick County
This local organization awards a large number of scholarships each year. Visit their web site at www.cffredco.org to view their list of scholarships and application process.
Maryland State Scholarships and Grants
Each year, the State of Maryland awards nearly $110 million in need-based grants and merit scholarships to more than 57,500 Maryland residents through its 19 programs. Maryland's scholarship and grant programs are available to eligible students who plan to attend any public or private Maryland college, university or career school. Money can be used by both part-time and full-time students.
To apply for most state scholarships and grants, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1st. Some scholarships do require additional applications. MARYLAND STATE APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE at www.mhec.state.md.us.
There are transfer scholarships available for academically talented students. Some are offered through private endowments, others through the state of Maryland, and others by the four-year colleges themselves.
Start with the FCC Transfer Website. You will find general information and links to many scholarships open to honors-caliber students. Some of this same information is also found in the FCC Transfer Guide, available in the Career & Transfer Center. Some examples are:
- Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship - ($30,000/year)
- Bowie State University - University Honors Program (3.5 GPA)
- Frostburg State University - Associate Degree Scholars Award ($1,250/semester; Associate degree &3.0 GPA)
- Hood College - Honors Program Scholarship ($2,000/year; see honors articulation agreement below)
- Morgan State University - Community College Transfer Honors Scholarship (full tuition +; 56 credits & 3.4 GPA)
- Towson University - Honors College Transfer Scholarship ($1,000/year; see honors articulation agreement below)
- University of Baltimore – Wilson Scholarship (full tuition; Associate degree & 3.5 GPA)
- UMBC - Academic Achievement Award ($2,500/year; 35 credits & 3.7 GPA to be competitive)
- UMBC - Phi Theta Kappa Award ($2,500/year; PTK membership & 3.7 GPA to be competitive)
- UMCP - Transfer Academic Excellence Scholarship (full tuition; 56 credits & 3.5 GPA)
- UMUC - Community College Transfer Scholarship ($3,300/year; Associate degree & 3.0 GPA)
Check to see if the schools you are interested in attending offer Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarships. Phi Theta Kappa members can also apply for the Guistwhite Scholarships; twenty students receive $5,000 for baccalaureate degree studies.
FCC Honors Articulation Agreements
We have the following articulation agreements in place with more being negotiated. Each agreement offers incentives to students taking honors classes at FCC. Click to get the details:
Contact the honors coordinator to start planning your future!